Last Updated on March 27, 2021 by Kathy Rukat Smith
You need (or want!) to buy a house…now what??? There are a few information steps that will make the home buying process much easier. I will go into each step in more detail in future blog posts.
- Find a great real estate agent. The best place to stay looking for a real estate agent is by asking your friends and family who they know. If your friends and family are happy with their agent, chances are you will be too! Moving from out of town can provide a challenge since you do not know anyone. Ask an agent you know if your hometown if they know anyone in the town where you are moving. Also, look online at agent’s websites.
- Get pre-approved. This step should be taken PRIOR to looking for homes. The pre-approval process can take a few days to be completed. You do not want to miss out on a home you like because you cannot write an offer. Sellers like to see a pre-approval letter with offers.
- Meet with your real estate agent. A good agent will ask lots of questions and whittle down what you want in a home and what you need in a home. While you have probably seen MANY homes online through different sites, not all of those sites are updates regularly. Your agent can provide the most up-to-date information.
- Start viewing homes. Once your agent knows what you want in a home, you can schedule appointments and start looking.
- Find a house you like and write an offer. Offers come with a lot of paperwork. Be ready to discuss offer details with your agent and sign several forms.
- Due diligence, home inspection period or working towards closing – different areas call it different things. The bottom line is this is the time you do your homework on the house…inspections, appraisals, title search, etc.
- CLOSING DAY!! Finally…all your hard work is finished. You sign your closing paperwork and get the keys to your new home!!
The home buying process involves many moving parts. These steps are only a highlight. I will go into much more detail in future blog posts. Until then, you can contact me with any home buying questions. I can be reached by email at Kathy@KathyRukat.com or by phone at 843-267-2710. Start searching for your next dream home by visiting the Basic Search section of my website. Happy house hunting!!
“Helping You Find the Sandcastle of Your Dreams!”