A few weeks ago, I shared some tips on what not to say while previewing a home. Now, we are going to move to social media. I am sure it comes as no surprise to you that people over share on social media and people "Facebook stalk" the other side in a real estate transaction. You also never know who could have mutual friends and see your posts. Do not let what you share. on social media negatively effect your home purchase or home sale. This extends to your kids as well if they have social media accounts.
What NOT to Post on Social Media When Selling or Previewing Homes
What NOT to Post When Selling Your Home
- Complaining about your neighbors, the neighborhood or the HOA all the time. If someone looks you up and sees that you are constantly complaining about the neighborhood, why would they want to buy your home.
- Talk about problems you have or have had with your home that have not been disclosed to potential buyers.
- Talking about your motivation for selling that could impact your negotiating ability. For instance, if you are selling because you are getting a divorce, buyers could see that and offer a lower price because they think you need to sell.
What NOT to Post When You are Buying a Home
- Talking about how much you love and can’t live without a home you previewed. If the seller sees that, you’ll likely be paying full price.
- Talking about pulling out of a purchase because you changed your mind. While there are legitimate ways within the contract to not go through with the purchase of a home, you could lose your earnest money deposit for just backing out of a transaction.
- Taking pictures of the sellers’ home and posting those online with negative comments about the sellers’ decor or housekeeping skills. That’s just mean.
While this is not an exhaustive list of things not to share on social media while buying to selling a home, I wanted to give you a few ideas.
As always, contact me if you are interested in buying or selling in Murrells Inlet or the surrounding area or if you are interested in learning more about living at the beach.