Have you ever thought your front yard or front porch and entrance need a little sprucing up? This week's video gives five ideas to increase curb appeal in the spring. All of the ideas mentioned can be completed in a weekend or two with a trip (or 2... or 3 if you really like flowers like me!) to your local hardware store or garden center. Two great local garden centers are Inlet Culinary Gardens in Murrells Inlet and True Blue Nursery in Pawleys Island. Most importantly, have fun while you increase the curb appeal of your home.
5 Ideas to Increase Curb Appeal in the Spring
1. Tidy up your landscaping
- Declutter your yard - take away anything that could distract the attention of potential buyers. Remember, you want them focusing on the house not your garden globes, garden gnomes or kids toys.
- Work on your flower beds - Weed, remove and replace any dead or dying plants and add some annual flowers for seasonal color
- Add or replace mulch - fresh mulch makes your flowers and plants pop
- Clean your water features - If you have any water features, drain the water and give them a good cleaning.
- Make sure your grass is mowed and your lawn edged.
2. Power wash and paint
- Power wash your house, sidewalks and driveway. It really is amazing what a good power washing can do for a home!
- After you power wash, you may notice peeling paint. Give any trim or railings a fresh coat of paint.
3. Freshen up your entryway
- You could add a trendy color to your front door or refresh the existing color. Now is a great time to add a new door knob and door knocker.
- Add new address numbers that can easily be seen from the street - you want potential buyers to be able to find your house!
- Finish off your entryway with a seasonal wreath, some potted flowers on either side of the door and a new doormat.
4. Update your lighting.
- Change out your porch light fixtures with new modern fixtures.
- You may also want to add lighting throughout your yard to light a walkway or call attention to landscaping features.
5. Tackle your mailbox.
- Mailboxes are one of the last things we think about when thinking about curb appeal but it is often the first thing buyers see.
- Repaint your mailbox or consider replacing it.
- If you have any extra plants or flowers from step 1, add them around your mailbox.
Increasing your curb appeal can easily be done by a trip (or two!) to your local hardware store and garden center and a weekend of two of work. The benefits of increasing your curb appeal when selling are huge. Buyers perceive a higher home value when the home has a nice, well taken care of landscape and curb appeal. More than that though, buyers are attracted to your home and want to take a look inside. Remember the old adage, you never get a second chance to make a first impression and that is so true with the front of your home when your home is on the market. If you are not looking to sell your home, still invest a little time and money into the curb appeal of your home so you have something beautiful to see when you come home!
As always, contact me if you are interested in buying or selling in Murrells Inlet or the surrounding area or if you are interested in learning more about living at the beach. Have a great day!
“Helping You Find the Sandcastle of Your Dreams!”